I would like to express my thanks to Jocelyn for starting this blog, what a great idea!
Background: I am 31, and was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Fasciitis (EF) when I was 15. I was originally told that I could go to school, and lay in bed, and that college was probably not in the cards for me...I went to college, got my MBA last year, and am married with 2 beautiful, healthy boys. I work semi-full time for my family's glass company. I am in management, and am at work about 60% of a week. It works out well so I still have time for the gym, and don't have to rush out on the boys in the morning. And I am with the boys all day Friday, and of course the weekends.
After my first year of being diagnosed and going to physical therapy, I held fairly steady on my regular meds. I competed in show jumping competitions all around the US with my horses, and kept fairly active. I have had a few major flares and a few minor flares. Even after all this time, I am still slow in identifying a flare. I'll notice that I have more pain and stiffness, but usually attribute that to something that I may have done out of the ordinary, and then a few days may turn into a few weeks. Then I realize that it's really bothering me and I'm not sleeping. And we get bloodwork done, and done again...and what I really can't stand is how tired and out of it I feel. I would like to think that I'ma fairly smart individual, but when I am in the midst of a flare, it's like I can't get my brain to focus, and then I feel lazy.
Anyway, I don't want to be a downer, it's just what I'm in the middle of right now. As far as medications, I currently take Relafen (an NSAID), prednisone which we change doses of frequently, always trying to get closer to zero, but never lower than 3mg so far), plaquenil, and flexeril as needed. I also have asthma and allergies, so I have stuff for that too.
Thanks again Jocelyn, for giving me the chance to talk about this a little, or at least get it out of my head!!
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Ugh Flares
Labels:
Eosinophilic fasciitis,
flares,
flexeril,
physical therapy,
plaquenil,
prednisone,
Relafen,
sleep,
stiffness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kathleen thanks so much for posting. I'm very excited to get this blog going. Each of our lives are so different even though we definitely have shared many of the same experiences and emotions. I hope more people will join.
ReplyDelete